Following European settlement in the early 1840s, Newmarket’s strategic location as a gateway to the city was quickly recognised. Small farms were established and several breweries and more hotels built. In 1850, new cattle markets were established in Newmarket and that is how it acquired its name.
Newmarket, known to Maori as Te Ti Tutahi, ‘the sacred cabbage tree standing alone’, grew into the bustling Broadway – today New Zealand’s busiest suburban centre and considered New Zealand’s most prestigious and vibrant shopping and entertainment destination.
With strip shopping on the central street of Broadway and character-filled, compact side streets, Newmarket is a magnetic precinct that encompasses a complementary mix of retail stores and commercial businesses providing exceptional goods and services.
Newmarket has everything from top designers to lifestyle stores, cafés, restaurants, hotels, bars, movie theatres and professional services.
Land on both sides of Khyber Pass Rd was developed for market gardens in the later part of the nineteenth century. This photograph was taken from the top of the Captain Cook Brewery in the late 1890's, looking north-west. (Special Collections, Auckland City Libraries)
Highwic between 1873 and 1885, showing the western extension. (NZ Historic Places Trust)
A photograph of the Captain Cook Brewery, taken some time before 1923. (Special Collections, Auckland City Libraries)
Brown and Campbell's Domain Brewery with brewer's drays lined up outside. The illustration featured in the New Zealand Jubilee and Exhibition Chronicle, 1890. (Special Collections, Auckland City Libraries)
Smith and Caughey Ltd is a famous Auckland department store. In the mid-1880's, the firm built its Newmarket branch (partly seen here on the left in 1913), which was run for many years by A.C. Caughey's son-in-law, Hugh Gilmour. Smith and Caughey Ltd still occupy the building today. (Special Collections, Auckland City Libraries)
The first government school in Newmarket was Mt Hobson Boys' School, which was established initially in the former Presbyterian church on Manukau Rd in 1874. In 1877, the school's 'commodious new building' shown here was constructed. (Auckland War Memorial Museum)
In 1951, the Auckland Electric Power Board built this large head office complex, designed by architect Llew Piper, on the corner of Remuera Rd and Nuffield St. An upper storey, designed by J. Van Pels, was added in 1964 to the original building seen here. (Auckland War Memorial Museum)
Busy Broadway in the late 1940's: trams, buses, trucks, cars - and on the right, the lane leading to the railway station, with the signal box glimpsed above the Self Help shop. (Air Logistics)
The present Auckland Grammar School main building, built in 1916. This photograph was taken in 1926. (Special Collections, Auckland City Libraries)
The Auckland War Memorial Museum is considered to be the finest neo-classical building in Australasia. It was designed by architect M.K. Draffin and built in 1929. A large rear extension designed by M.K. and R.F Draffin was added in 1964. The Museum's Maori and Pacific Island collections are of international significance. (Special Collections, Auckland City Libraries)